To support and encourage business growth in the district, Uttlesford District Council have established a ‘Business Development Rate Relief Scheme’. The discretionary scheme recognises the district is "open for business" and provides additional discounts to eligible businesses. The scheme is currently operational until March 2018.
Businesses eligible under the scheme
Businesses can apply for a business rate discount if the business is:
- Relocating into Uttlesford from outside the district
- Already located in Uttlesford and the business is enlarging existing premises, by building an additional new building or extension, or moving to larger premises within Uttlesford
- Already located in Uttlesford and is forced to move to another premises in Uttlesford. For example when a landlord no longer wishes the premises to be used for commercial use and does not extend the lease
- Moving into a premises that is a listed building and has been unoccupied for a minimum period of 6 months
- Sole general stores, post offices, food shops, public houses and petrol stations within a rural settlement with a population of up to 3,000
In addition, where a planning permission has been granted within the Uttlesford District to build commercial workspace, such as office space or light industrial, and work on the construction of this workspace has not commenced a minimum of 18 months after granting of planning permission, then this workspace would be eligible.
Qualifying for rate relief
To be eligible a business must where applicable:
- Take premises with a rateable value of £12,500 or more
- Have been trading for a minimum of one year
- Have a minimum three year lease or own the freehold
- Have not already received public financial assistance, or, if it has, then it must have been less than €200,000 or approximately £130,000 within the last three years
What the rate relief entails
Businesses that are approved under this scheme would receive 50% discretionary rate relief in the first year and 25% relief in the second year. Full rates would be payable from the third year onwards.
For sole businesses in rural settlements with a Rateable Value exceeding £16,500 relief will be capped at the £16,500 level. A qualifying business would therefore receive £8,000 in rate relief and pay rates on the remaining Rateable Value above £16,500.
How to apply
Applicants need to complete the rate relief scheme application form available from:
Economic Development Officer
Uttlesford District Council, Council Offices
London Road, Saffron Walden
Tel: 01799 510521
For more information email: email@example.com
Source [Uttlesford District Council]